Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Calling EBS Webservices from APEX

Another way to integrate with E-Business Suite from APEX is through Webservices.
You could setup a complete BPEL and SOA environment or you can do it a bit simpler.

First you start by going to the EBS Integration Repository. I found it useful to view by Interface Type as then I could select XML Gateway Map.


For the different products inside EBS you find the different gateways. Most of them have a WSDL.
I won't give a complete run through demo as I'm currently working with HR and I didn't see an XML Gateway for that. Nevertheless I will tell you how I would do it.

In APEX go to Shared Components > Logic > Web Service References.

Create a new Webservice based on a WSDL (the one you selected from the EBS Integration Repository)


And follow the wizard from there. You don't need to search the UDDI, you can just copy the WSDL location. Once the wizard is finished I tend to create a new page (form and report) based on this Webservice so I don't need to create the possible parameters/items manually etc.


Finally I customise the page to fit my needs. That should be it... (in theory)

6 comments:

Buzz Killington said...

I'd be interested to see if you could get it working. Every time I've ever used a SOAP-based web service in APEX, I've had to do a manual reference with the SOAP envelope. I don't know what it uses for parsing, but it must expect a very specific format.

I think SOAP support is one of most poorly functioning areas in APEX. A lot is moving toward rest, but not everything.

web designer said...

This is very interesting post.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dimitri/All,
We need to approve/reject the workflow notification of oracle EBS using smartphone.
Option 1
We have published the oracle EBS R12.1.3 native PL/SQL API as an web services.How to configure the APEX4.2 application to approve/reject it in smartphones

Option 2
I can think of accessing oracle EBS login page from mobile application of APEX.
Next User authentication will be by native EBS r12.1.3 authentication after that next responsibility page
Finally This responsibility "Workflow approval manager" will help me to approve/reject workflow

soumendu said...

Hi Dimitri/All,
We need to approve/reject the workflow notification of oracle EBSR12.1.3 using smartphone.
Option 1
We have published the oracle EBS native PL/SQL API as an web services.How to use the APEX 4.2 application to approve/reject it in smartphones

Option 2
I can think of accessing oracle EBS login page from mobile application of APEX4.2.
Next User authentication will be by native EBS authentication after that next responsibility page
Finally This responsibility "Workflow approval manager" will help me to approve/reject workflow

Dimitri Gielis said...

-) yes you can extend EBS with APEX and use it on smarthphones
-) yes you can authenticate with EBS (Single Sign On), there's a whitepaper how to integrate APEX with EBS which also describes SSO

If you can do it in PL/SQL you can do it in APEX.

soumendu said...

Thanks Dimitri,
We are hopeful and moving accordingly. All white paper say about the EBS 2 APEX. But we need to call APEX 2 EBS(web service). Any more focus is highly appreciable ..Thanks in advance