Monday, October 15, 2007

Teaching Oracle - the next year

Just as last year (see here and here) I teached a part of the Oracle DBA course to some students.

Last year the students, the school and myself really enjoyed working together, so we decided it would be a good idea to do this more.

I believe the students are well coached by their teachers. The only down-side is that it's very "academic". Having somebody from "the field" talking about their experience and how the teached material is used in "real life", can be a nice added value for the students.

Just as last time I talked for the last year informatics students. I was surprised they were so "open" for Oracle. A few years ago a lot of students were sceptic about Oracle, but I've the impression that it's changing... The students looked really interested in the topics I talked about (for ex. Security and Performance & Tuning).

Next to the "official material" I talked about the evolution of the Oracle database (10/11g with APEX ;-) and beyond) and also about the free Oracle database (XE) which they can try themselves.

Again I liked it a lot... it's nice to hear from these students what they're interested in these days and what they think about Oracle.

In a few days I'll teach the second group this material.

No comments: