Tuesday, May 30, 2006

World Cup 2006 score in APEX

I received a nice Excel file which can store the scores of the World Cup 2006.
As I really love APEX, I thought, let me try to make this "advanced Excel" in APEX.
My goal:
- use only the online version of APEX (http://apex.oracle.com)
- use only APEX, so no other tools
- have at least all "possibilities" of the Excel file
- make something quick and dirty ;-)

After two evenings of work, this is the result. (see also on picture)
You can update the scores of the games, all the rest is "automatically" (till the 1/8 finales).
Basically you have two procedures to calculate the score and to show the flags, and two pages, one to show the results and one to fill in the score of the games. I also made a third page, to upload the flags (little jpegs) into a blob column.
There's still room for improvement; table layout, add fk's, items/regions definition, add automatically calculation for the 1/4 finales and further, improve code etc.

You're free to download the source here. It includes the generation of the tables, the data and the APEX application.

7 comments:

Dimitri Gielis said...

Some gave feedback on the APEX forum:
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/thread.jspa?forumID=137&threadID=391908

Joel R. Kallman said...

Very impressive, given that you did this in only a couple evenings. When do you find time to blog and/or sleep?

Dimitri Gielis said...

Hi Joel,

Thanks for your post.

It starts always small, but when you get some reactions, you're motivated to put more and go further...

The same happened with the WC2006 application; I just wanted to prove that I could replace that Excel file by the soft I like most. I got some reactions and started to improve it (make it multi-lingual, installable etc.) 2 evenings became 4, 4 became ... it didn't stay with the evenings ;-)

I don't have a baby yet, like you do (btw congrats with your nice son), but I've a girl-friend ;-) (in August she will become my wife!)

I just like to spent my time with *oracle* I suppose I'm still a bit brainwashed from the time I worked there ;-)

Dimitri

Anonymous said...

This is no big deal until you incorporate web services into the project. There's already a web service ready to go.

Dimitri Gielis said...

A new version is now available... see the other post on this blog!

Webservices are now included, as also a login and betting!

Dimitri Gielis said...

To show the flags:
Run this in SQL> grant execute on PROC_FLAG_DISPLAY to public

Anonymous said...

Good!